Skip to page body Home My Library Explore Audiences Digital Content Services Programs & Events About Us

Mission

To connect people with ideas and information, to inspire imagination and a love of reading, and to facilitate lifelong learning and discovery.

Vision

To be a welcoming, open and free community gathering place where all can reflect, learn, create, share and debate.

Values

Openness and inclusion
Intellectual freedom
Literacy and lifelong learning
Creativity and innovation
Collaboration
Sustainability
Service excellence

History of Port Moody Public Library

From small town to modern municipality, as the City of Port Moody has grown and developed, so too has its public library. The sense of community spirit notable from the inception of the first public library in Port Moody set the foundation for the dedication and commitment of today’s Port Moody Public Library to the community it serves.

1943
The first public library in Port Moody opens in the basement of City Hall, then located at Kyle Street, with a grant of $300 from the City and a collection of donated books.  It was staffed by members of the Board of Trade and several high school student volunteers.

1951
The Port Moody Library officially becomes a Public Library Association. 

During this decade, the library moved to the lower level of the city’s recreation hall; travelling library books rotated every three months to supplement the collection, with a children’s collection added later.

1968
The newly constructed Port Moody Centennial Library officially opens on February 13 on St. Johns Street, made possible by a $50,000 British Columbia Centennial Grant.

1972
The Port Moody Library formally becomes a Municipal library under the Public Libraries Act.

After 29 years of operation, the library hires its first professional librarian.

1975
The Port Moody Library becomes a member of the newly formed Greater Vancouver Library Federation. Resulting changes include an increase in patron resources and a conversion to Library Congress subject headings (a task that took 1 ½ years to accomplish!)

1988
The card catalogue indexing the library’s collection is replaced by new computer catalogues. 

Port Moody Public Library becomes the first public library in the Lower Mainland to offer Internet access to its patrons.

1992
The Port Moody Public Library celebrates its 50th anniversary. 

Participation begins in two provincially sponsored projects:  InterLINK, which enables reciprocal borrowing among member libraries, and Outlook, a database facilitating inter-library loans.

1995
The Port Moody Public Library opens on September 6 in its current location, the Civic Centre Complex situated at the head of Burrard Inlet in the new town centre. 

1996
Port Moody Public Library automates its operations (circulation, catalogue, acquisitions).

Statistics in new facility show an increase of 106% for library visits and an 84% increase in circulation.

Last updated: 06/01/2014 12:39:59 PM